This is my first ever personal TV which I intend to keep for as many years as possible. TV technology has reached a stage where only a good quality screen matters as we can always extend the audio capabilities using external speakers.
I did my research and purchased LG 42LB550A. It is a 42″ Full HD IPS LED TV. This is an old model but the newer models did not have feature difference enticing enough to buy them over this TV.
I got this TV from Amazon for a final price of Rs 38,000.
Reasons to buy this TV…
- A non-gimmick, non-smart TV which only gives you a good quality 1080p 100 Hz screen and nothing else.
- It allows me to extend the audio quality through RCA audio output. I am now using my Creative Gigaworks T20 speakers with this TV.
- It allows me to make it a SmartTV using my EzCast. I can now play videos saved in my Lumia 925 or Dell Venue 7 directly to the TV and also stream YouTube videos to TV.
- This TV can play MP4, AVI, MKV files just fine from a USB Drive.
- Good up-scaling quality. I was able to see high bitrate 720p HD TV shows without any de-blocking or reduction in quality. 480p videos had lots of noise reduction applied.
- Good Black levels. Not perfect but than IPS panels are not known for deep blacks. Still, in room with proper lightning you won’t find anything wrong in it.
- Very low IPS glow. It is there if you look for it. I find my LG MP2477HM-P monitor to be better in this regard.
Overall, for my needs which include 90% playback using EzCast/USB drive, I am very satisfied.
Update, March 6, 2015: I connected my PC to TV just to see how it is like to use a TV as monitor.
Needless to say text rendering was not as sharp as a regular PC monitor but this is expected because due to 42″ screen size this TV has a low DPI. This low DPI doesn’t matter when using TV as TV but text will be blurred.
I also played Far cry 4 on it. The experience was nothing short of amazing.
And also Batman:Arkham Knight
It is cumbersome to plug out the PC and take it to the next room and re-plug everything hence I won’t be doing this frequently. Maybe once in a blue moon when there are friends over and we need to play games on a big screen.