Update: I have now upgraded to a Sony SBH20.
As I mentioned in the previous post about Nokia N8, I did not like the bundled earphone bundled with Nokia N8 so I was looking to buy a new handsfree in which I can plug in my own earphone of choice.
I purchased Nokia BH-214 & now using it with my existing Philips SHH-9700 earphones which are detachable.
The claimed battery life for music is 7 hrs. It takes about 2 hours to charge completely. It can be charged with the regular Nokia 2mm charger which comes with Nokia N8. Although a charger is still bundled with the package.
Once connected, the volume of audio playback is configurable only through the handsfree & the regular slider or the volume keys on Nokia N8 will not control the volume. Instead they will control the volume of the phone call.
One thing to note that if you want to listen to F.M Radio, you will still need the bundled wired handsfree as F.M Radio will not work with this Bluetooth handsfree.
Update – January 24, 2011.
The biggest gripe I had with this handsfree was that I couldn’t connect it to my PC to use as a Bluetooth headphone or microphone for Skype. Well, looks like this device can indeed be connected to PCs but there is a small trick for this.
- Install the latest drivers for your Bluetooth adapter. In most cases Bluesoleil 6 is what you would need. In case you have a laptop, then check the manufacturer’s website.
- Now, turn on your device by pressing and holding the power button. The power LED will first turn green but if you keep the button pressed, the device LED will turn blue symbolizing “searching for connection” mode.
- Go to your PC and search for a new Bluetooth device. This time your PC will detect the BH-214 properly & connect. If the operating system asks for a pairing code then enter 0000.
- Let the operating system install drivers as required. Once this is done, BH-214 will be visible in Windows 7’s Device stage (or your OS’ equivalent of device stage) as visible in the screenshot.
- Now, go to your control panel & open “Sound” control panel. There, in the speaker section, select BH-214 or Bluetooth Audio & set it as default device. In case of BlueSoleil, you will have to connect to the “Bluetooth Advanced Audio” service.
- Set is also as the default Mic. Now, you can also use this handsfree to talk over Skype.